Monday, March 13, 2006

Firefighter Poem

Not sure who the author of this so if anyone knows let me know so I can give proper credit:

Edited 3/14/2006:
From Joe at Firewhirl he gave me the following info:
Here is the article from The Daily News covering the memorial service for the two firefighters killed in the Black Sunday fire.
Her voice cracking ever so slightly, an 11-year-old girl brought a firehouse full of big men to tears yesterday with a heart-wrenching poem about the day her father went to work to ride his red truck and never came home.
Lt. Curtis Meyran's daughter Angela proved she was every bit as brave as her dad as she faced a crowd of hundreds at a ceremony marking the first anniversary of the Black Sunday inferno that killed two firefighters and injured four others

My father was a fireman, he drove a big red truck, And when he'd go to work each night, he'd say, "Mother wish me luck".
Then Dad would not come home again, 'til sometime the next day, But the thing that bothered me most, was the things some folks would say.
A fireman's life is easy, he eats and sleeps and plays, And sometimes he don't fight a fire for days and days and days.
When I first heard these comments, I was too young to understand Cause I knew, when people had trouble Dad was there to lend a hand.
Then my father went to work one day and kissed us all good-bye, But little did we realize, that night, we all would cry.
My father gave his life that night, when the floor gave way below, And I wondered why he'd risk his life, for someone he didn't know.
But now I realize, the greatest gift a man could give, Is to lay his life upon the line, so that someone else may live.
So as we go from day to day, and we pray to God above, Say a prayer for your local fireman, he may save the one you love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home